Sunday, December 9, 2012

In English Please

Had a great day at our volunteer placement.  There are a couple of kids that love stealing things, but I've figured out that it's entirely an attention seeking behavior.  Aaron mentioned how terrible he felt for one if the boys that is in a wheelchair.  His chair doesn't have tires on the wheels and his seat doesn't have a cushion.  It's definitely difficult to see and is a reminder of just one of the reasons we are so fortunate.  The fact is, it's much more typical to have a chair like that vs the wheelchairs we see in the states. Our country makes up such a small percentage of the world population and we take so much for granted.  Let this be another reminder why we should be thankful.

After our volunteer placement, we headed home for lunch. We had a bean soup, noodles and an amazing fried fish.  The fish was served whole and I had fun picking all of the meat off the fish bones.  It's not often I get the chance to eat a whole fish.

In the afternoon we enjoyed an Arabic lesson.  It's such a beautiful language and  I'd love to be able to read it, but I'm gonna be honest with myself.  That probably will never happen.  I mentioned to Aaron how bad I feel sometimes about being an American.   In my travels, I have met people around the world.  More often than not, the people I have met have been able to speak at least 2 languages.  I've even met people who speak 5 languages.  Americans talk so often about wanting to "save" people who live in "third world" countries.  (If we weren't talking about languages, I'd go off right now about the statement "third world" but I'll save that for another post.)  The majority of us only speak one language.  We expect everyone else to learn English because for some reason we think we are so much better than everyone else.  Our school systems may be better in many ways, but the fact is, many schoosl are requiring children to learn multiple languages from an early age.  In america our kids have study hour and no longer have gym, music or art.  We have stripped our schools down to the bare minimum and we wonder why kids are dropping out.   In other countries, students come from all over even when it isn't required, simply because they want to learn.  On that note, tomorrow I will attempt to write my name in Arabic.

After our lesson, we headed to the Medina for some shopping.  I had so much fun!  Morocco is an amazing place to shop.  Beautiful shoes, scarves, pottery, lights, blankets.  I spent about one hundred dollars and we got most all of our Christmas shopping done.  It was awesome!

Here is a picture with all of the goods.

After the market, we walked to a restaurant.  It was a boat built specifically as a restaurant and it was beautiful!  It was probably the most beautiful and unique restaurant that I have ever been to.  I had two glasses of a French wine and Aaron enjoyed a martini and a beer.  Finding Alcohol in Morocco is rare, so we thoroughly enjoyed our drinks.


We headed home for dinner.

I was in bed by 10pm and awake at 2am.  It was the first night I woke up sweating instead of freezing.  I lay awake for an hour or two before falling back asleep.   I told myself it would be my last full night sleep in a bed, tomorrow would be spent on a bus..and the next in the desert...and the next on another bus.


No comments:

Post a Comment