Thursday, December 6, 2012

Weather Permitting

We had about 15 kids at our volunteer placement.  We colored and lifted one kid after the next onto the plastic slide.  So many things about today reminded me of my childhood.  They sell the plastic purple and green blow up bunnies that we used to get at fairs and carnivals in the 80's at the hospital entrance and other various locations throughout the hospital.   I haven't seen any like that since my childhood.    Another reminder of my childhood,  playdough.  We used a plastic toy that looks like a garlic press to push the playdough through.  It comes out the other end looking like pasta, but I think when I was a kid I associated it more with snakes.  The kids love it!  I remember loving it as a child as well.

Here is what the play room looks like, minus the children.  It is actually a really great area as long as the weather permits.  there is a large hole in the ceiling, so if it rains, it isn't available to the volunteers.  The only time it is available to the children is when the volunteers are there.  It's a great area for children to pass the day in between appointments with the doctors.  It also gives the parents a break from having to sit in their childs room all day. 

Most of the toys are broken, but the kids don't care.   Adults have a lot to learn from children....We don't need brand new things to have fun.  Old, broken things can also serve a purpose.



After lunch, we had a history lesson.  We learned a lot about the Moroccan culture. It was lovely. 
Following the history lesson, I went to a Moroccan Hamman.  It was an experience that I will never forget.  All of the Hammans that you see online are beautiful.  They usually have a large pool in the middle and a bench all the way around where the woman (and men during the evenings) sit and clean themselves.  The typical Hamman is nothing like that.  The one that I visited was like an old stark white locker/steam room all in one.  I walked in and immediately, found myself amongst many naked woman.  I was expecting an entry room at least, but the entry room is actually the changing room.  Many of the workers (the woman that scrub other woman) don't dress until they go home...which I imagine could be all day.   After I changed - or took off everything other than my underwear-I headed into the steam area.  I noted right away that everyone sits on either a small plastic foot stool type thing, or a mat on the tile floor.  You steam first and cover yourself in Henna (non staining) After that, a woman puts black soap all over you.    The black soap is olive oil and who knows what else.  It's the consistency of crisco.  I had imagined a bar of soap, but that is the furthest from what it actually looks like. 

After sitting with the soap on for a bit, a larger topless woman, that I imagine was in her late sixties came over and brought me into the adjoining room (it was slightly cooler than the first room)  I sat down and she scrubbed me with a loofah type thing (which I purchased upon arrival and am happy to report my dead skin is the only skin that had ever touched the thing)  She scrubbed me almost everywhere - minus my most private of private areas.  However, she did pull down my bottoms to scrub my backside at one point.  It was a very interesting cultural experience to say the least.  My skin was probably the softest it's ever been though.   The entire 1.5 hour experience cost about 7 bucks.  It would be a good place for Mike Rowe to visit.  It would be a very dirty job.

After my scrub down, I headed to the salon which was upstairs from the Hamman.    I was a little nervous because there were really old brushes everywhere and the cosmetologist (which I believe they called "beautician" had scary hair. She was also using a plain old hair dryer that didn't look capable of much.  It was only 5 bucks to have my hair straightened, so I couldn't pass it up.  Risking the chance that I may be leaving with a huge Afro and frizzy mess was worth the risk.  I was shocked that she actually gave me soft, frizz free, straight hair.  And the best part?  It didn't require any hair goo.  She was awesome and it proves that you can't judge a book by it's cover.  I had luscious straight hair for 3 full days.

That evening Aaron, Kevin and I headed to the mall.  We needed to get a few things - cough syrup and electrolytes.  We were a site for sore eyes.  I did buy some argon oil which was much more exciting than medicine.   It comes from a town here in Morocco and it is the only place in the world that has it.  It's the same thing that the brand Moroccan hair oil uses.  However, it is in it's natural form so it doesn't smell nearly as wonderful.  I've learned that Moroccan hair oil is only like 20-30% argon oil (roughly) so the 100% obviously is much better.

Good day in Rabat.

No comments:

Post a Comment